Photo: Sir George Grey Special Collection
The Road Board consented and resolved to form the first sports club in the area in 1913.The bowling club and tennis club were formed to test public interest for sports activities in the area as many thought it a waste of public money. The St Heliers Bay Croquet Club was established in 1916. Mr George Campbell a strong advocate and member of the Road Board was the first President of the bowling club. The club developed over the years, making improvements to buildings and greens and celebrated its centenary in 2013. These clubs have been enjoyed by many locals over the generations and remain popular today.