19. Achilles Point – Te Pani-o-Horoiwi

Photo: Sir George Grey Special Collection

In 1940 this eastern headland of St Heliers was named “Achilles Point”. This memorial, in the form of a ship’s bow, was erected to commemorate the gallant performance of H.M.S Achilles and the bravery of her captains, officers and ship’s company in the victorious naval battle fought in the South Atlantic off the River Plate on 13 December 1939. This reserve was refurbished in 2009 and is visited by many tourists who enjoy the extensive views of the harbour and gulf.

Switch to desktop site