17. Police Station

Photo: Wendy Casperson

The Police Department purchased the site in Polygon Road in May 1925.This was for the erection of a constable’s house in which a permanent officer would be installed by the end of that year. Prior to that temporary constables had been assigned to St Heliers and Kohimarama on public holidays and for a few weeks in the summer when visitors thronged the beaches. Residents had sent repeated petitions to Parliament to get a permanent resident constable to protect people and property as minor crimes had become common.

Switch to desktop site