Photo: Sir George Grey Special Collection
In 1912 a Post Office opened in a store on the waterfront (The Strand now Tamaki Drive). Previously there had been a telegraph office in the hotel and a sub-post office in a boarding house. Mail deliveries (on horseback) began in 1913. In November 1924 the new Post Office and Postmaster’s residence in the main shopping area (Wharf Road now St Heliers Bay Road) was opened and this continued to serve the district until it was demolished and replaced by a new post office and mail centre in 1982. In 1987 the Post Office became New Zealand Post.